You will find your ECM bolted to a support bracket close to the fuel filter. The support bracket is mounted on the block using four cap screws with vibration isolators. There will be a ground wire attached to the bracket. The other end of the ground wire will be attached to the engine block
To remove your ECM, follow these simple steps:
1. Make sure you record any DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) from the ECM
The ignition key must be off and the negative battery cables must be disconnected to avoid any possible voltage spike damage while unplugging the ECM connectors!!!
2. Be sure to disconnect both the negative and the positive battery cables on BOTH batteries.
3. Remove the both the 50-way connector bolt and the 60-way connector bolt on the ECM.
NOTE: Connector bolt is a female alien head.
As you remove the bolt, very carefully remove the connectors from your ECM!
4. Now you can remove the five ECM mounting bolts and pull the ECM from the vehicle.
Follow these steps to install your new ECM:
Do not paint your ECM because that WILL cause poor grounding.
1. Place your new ECM on the ECM support bracket and reinstall the five mounting bolts and tighten them to 24Nm (18 foot pounds).
2. Make sure the pin connectors in the ECM and in the 50-way and 60-way connectors are free from corrosion or damage. Replace if needed.
3. Use a quick-dry electrical contact cleaner to clean the 50-way and 60-way connector pins.
4. Install the 50-way and 60-way connectors to the new ECM very carefully! Then tighten up the alien bolts.
5. Re-connect the negative and positve battery cables.
6. Turn the ignition key to the ON position. Do not start the vehicle yet!!! Before starting your vehicle, press the throttle pedal to the floor slowly and then release it slowly. This must be done (one time only) to make sure accelerator pedal position sensor calibration has been learned by your new ECM. Otherwise, if this is not done, possible DTC's might be set.
7. Use a DRB scanning tool to erase any left-over stored companion DTC's from the ECM.
^ BACK TO TOP ^